"The best jihad [struggle] is (by) the one who strives against his own self for Allah, The Mighty and Majestic," Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad)

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Starting off.

I'm not sure I realized prior to my being to study the Quran how much Islam moved me or just how much I felt it from the inside.
I knew i felt it, you can't experience the Whirling Dervishes and not... but... wow.
I had started reading it a month or so ago until my kitten decided to remove my bookmark.

So i restarted - this time studying more as i went and doing more prayer.
Making notes of the verses that really hit me so I can come back to them.

I have also looked into learning Arabic, its just something that I have to do, I need to be able to read the Quran the way it was intended to be read.
The library has some audio books but i am debating on purchasing it since I would be using it that much.

I still have yet to stop thinking about the other night.. thinking about it just gives me shivers and I am not sure what to make of it.
I think that ones going to sit with me for a long time.

I was reading about fasting the other day and it got me to thinking about the Christians and their saying Hail Marys and whether Christians fasted but of all the Christians i know none of them ever fast. (They practice their faith)

I don't know if its just my not feeling anything when i think about that faith and my attempt to make myself fit - but it doesn't seem that there is anything to strive at. No reality in it, no chance for self or spiritual improvement or development.
It all just felt like one big story book to me.

Also why the need for more then one god?
I had the same trip up in Paganism with the Sun and Moon gods/goddess.

Its like it was said in a lecture i was watching if that was the case then one would always be taking from the other and we would never end up where we are.

IMHO there can only be one god.. and that's why.

The one thing i was reading today that made me curious tho, if wine and alcohol is forbidden why does Allah say it shall be in paradise for us? (47:15)

"The allegory of Paradise that is promised for the righteous is this: it has rivers of unpolluted water, and rivers of fresh milk, and rivers of wine - delicious for the drinkers - and rivers of strained honey. They have all kinds of fruits therein, and forgiveness from their Lord. (Are they better) or those who abide forever in the hellfire, and drink hellish water that tears up their intestines?"

Food for my thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment